Our dental specialists at Dayton Comprehensive Dentistry offer treatments for bruxism, or teeth grinding. Bruxism can cause significant damage to your smile and your oral health, and we want to make sure that you can once again enjoy a healthy smile. Please call us at to make your appointment with our dentists and learn more about treatments for bruxism in Springboro, Dayton and Kettering, Ohio.
Bruxism is the grinding and clenching of teeth. It can occur at any time, but is much more common at night. There are a number of restorative treatments available to help restore your smile after it has been damaged and prevent future bruxism from occurring.
Bruxism is often misdiagnosed, or not diagnosed at all, because it is only one of several potential causes for tooth wear and damage. Only trained dental professionals can tell the difference between damage caused by the grinding and clenching of teeth and damage caused by aggressive brushing habits or acidic foods and drinks.
If left untreated, bruxism can cause:
- Gum recession
- Tooth loss
- Fractured and broken teeth
- Excessively worn teeth
- Debilitating headaches
- Aching jaws
- Muscle tension in the neck
- Myofascial pain
- Eating disorders
While there is no single cure for bruxism, our dentists may recommend one of several treatments, in addition to a restorative treatment, to help alleviate the effects of tooth grinding and protect your smile. Common treatment options include:
- Night guards – This specialized mouth guard is worn at night, and is designed to minimize the abrasive actions of teeth while asleep.
- NTI-tss device – This device covers the front teeth, preventing the grinding of your rear molars by limited the contractions of your jaw muscles.
- BOTOX® – BOTOX can be injected into muscles to relax and weaken them enough to prevent the grinding. This treatment does not interfere with day-to-day functions such as chewing and speaking.
Our dentists may also recommend relaxation and stress management exercises, or biofeedback mechanisms. Once your bruxism is under control, we will design a treatment plan to restore the damage done to your teeth and help you regain a beautiful, healthy smile.
If you have questions about bruxism treatments, please contact our practice and schedule an appointment with Dr. Sellers, Dr. Platt, Dr. Lochtefeld, and Dr. Lochtefeld.